Call Us Today
(855) 977-1842

David G. Sayles Insurance Services: Your Trusted Insurance Partner

Close the Gaps with Flood & Earthquake Insurance

Super Storm Sandy was a wake-up call for many up and down the East Coast, especially in the Garden State where so many residents experienced tremendous losses as a result of flood damage. It’s events like these that make us stop and think if we are properly protected. But flooding doesn’t occur only after a hurricane or in flood-zoned areas. Flooding can also happen as a result of torrential rains that overwhelm a drainage system, as well as from sewer/drain backup.

At David G. Sayles Insurance Services, we fully understand how devastating a flood loss can be for a homeowner – and how things are made even worse if the right coverage is not in place. That’s why it’s so important to discuss the need for flood insurance. Remember, a homeowners policy does not provide coverage in the event of damage due to a flood.

Our professional staff is available to discuss this much-needed insurance coverage with you and explain how it works.

Ins & Outs of Flood Insurance

We can secure flood insurance from several national and local insurance carriers that provide you with the coverage you need.

  • Get dwelling coverage up to $250,000
  • Obtain coverage for your contents up to $100,000
  • Coverage includes the foundation, structure, central air, furnace, water heaters and other big appliance; it also covers flooring, walls, blinds, built-in cabinets and bookcases, and detached garages
  • You can also opt to insure curtains, furniture, window air conditioners, microwaves, area rugs, clothing washers and dryers, and certain high-value items like art

Our staff also has access to alternative markets to obtain excess flood insurance depending on your needs. In addition, as an independent agency, we have markets that write coastal and non-coastal homes in any flood zone; secondary homes, rental homes, and condominium units; and other key features.

A Look at Earthquake Insurance

Hurricanes and severe storms are not the only catastrophic events that can wreak havoc on homeowners. An earthquake can be equally as devastating when damage occurs. You may not think about earthquake coverage as a resident of New Jersey but, in fact, according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), our state has many small earthquakes every year. What’s more, because of the region’s population density, the potential for damage from a large quake could be significant for residents.

Coverage for earthquake damage is not covered under a standard homeowners policy. For proper protection, earthquake insurance must be purchased. Earthquake coverage can be added through a separate policy, or you can add an earthquake endorsement to your existing homeowners policy. An earthquake policy will cover repairs to the structure itself, minus your deductible amount, which is a percentage of the amount of dwelling coverage on your home.

Do You Need Earthquake Coverage?

In addition to geographic location, there are other factors to consider when looking at earthquake insurance, including:

  • The ground beneath your home matters. Sandy soil or fill are less stable than bedrock.
  • Wood-framed homes are more flexible than masonry such as brick.
  • Multiple-story homes are more vulnerable than single-story.
  • Homes on raised foundations are more vulnerable than those built at grade.
  • Lastly, the age of your home may determine whether it meets newer seismic standards. Older homes may be able to undergo a seismic retrofit that bolts the structure to the foundation and braces brick chimneys, among other improvements.

We can review this with you to help determine whether earthquake insurance is an option you should be considering.